Learning from existing projects can create opportunities for greater project efficiency and success. The Clean Cities Coalition Network developed publicly available project summaries that draw out key considerations and lessons learned from recent electric vehicle (EV) projects funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. Others pursuing similar projects can leverage this information to engage stakeholders, improve equitable distribution of project benefits, consider site selection factors, and weigh permitting and policy elements that could impact project success.
Project categories include:
Users can find curated checklists, detailed information about past projects, and resources to help them understand a broad range of project aspects from community engagement, equity, and working with utilities to site selection, charging considerations, and maintenance, and incorporate these findings into their own projects.
“The unique thing about these summaries is that they condense vital aspects of many projects in each category into a one-stop-shop for others to learn from and use as a resource,” said Kristi Moriarty, a senior engineer at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory who worked with past project teams to identify key considerations. “These are the things you should benchmark your projects against to successfully streamline them across fields and make them more equitable.”
Project managers and principal investigators can also search for projects funded by the Department of Energy’s Vehicle Technologies Office, Technology Integration Program since 2009 to find information related to different project topics. Recently funded projects focused on:
- Integrating alternative fuel vehicles and fueling infrastructure in urban and rural communities.
- Implementing projects that demonstrate and assess new mobility solutions that maximize the return on investment to mobility systems in terms of time, cost, energy, and opportunity.
- Developing fueling and charging stations along busy transportation corridors.
- Providing resiliency planning through diversified vehicle and fueling options.
- Securing real-world data on total cost of ownership for alternative fuels.
http://dardogallettostudios.com/blog/2014/11/ Visit the Funded Projects section of the Clean Cities Coalition Network website to learn more.